- Spontaneous emergence of large scale cell cycle synchronization in amoeba colonies. Igor Segota, Laurent Boulet, David Franck & Carl Franck. Phys. Biol. 11 036001, 2014. supplementary information Video of cell positions (Movie 1. (6.92 MB, MOV) A recording of the first 26 hours of D. discoideum growth on a glass substrate, shown in figure 1 of the main text. Note the dissociation of multinuclear cells or cell clusters in the first few hours, occurring at arbitrary times (e.g. at 1 s, 5 s, 7 s, 8 s, 9 s) indicating the lack of cell synchronization by simultaneous dissociation/cytokinesis. The time-lapse video was recorded by taking a photo every five minutes and the video playback is at seven frames per second (the full length being 26 hours).
- High fidelity information processing in folic acid chemotaxis of Dictyostelium amoebae. Segota I, Mong S, Neidich E, Rachakonda A, Lussenhop CJ, Franck C., J R Soc Interface 10, 20130606, 2013
- Extracellular gradient amplification by eukaryotic cells and power-law scaling in screened gradients. Igor Segota and Carl Franck. submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett, 2017
- Allee effect in eukaryotic cell populations. Igor Segota, Ariana Strandburg-Peshkin, Xiao-Qiao S. Zhou, Archana Rachakonda, Benjamin Yavitt, Catherine J. Lussenhop, Sungsu Lee, Kevin Tharratt, Amrish Deshmukh, Elisabeth Sebesta, Myron Zhang, Sharon Lau, Anthony Hazel and Carl Franck. In preparation for resubmittal to Physical Review E, 2017.
- Investigating the transition to multicellular life on small scales by physically modifying a chemical signaling channel. Kayvon Daie, Bradley Webster, Ryan Monaghan, and Carl Franck. In preparation for resubmittal to Phys. Rev. E, 2017
- Contact-mediated cell-assisted cell proliferation in a model eukaryotic single-cell organism: An explanation for the lag phase in shaken cell culture. Carl Franck, Wui Ip, Albert Bae, Nathan Franck, Elijah Bogart, and Thanhbinh Thi Le Physical Review E. 77, 041905, 2008
- Live cell flattening – traditional and novel approaches. Christian Westendorf, Albert J Bae, Christoph Erlenkamper, Edouard Galland, Carl Franck, Eberhard Bodenschatz, and Carsten Beta. PMC Biophysics. 3:9, 2010
- Dictyostelium discoideum chemotaxis: Threshold for directed motion. Song L, Nadkarni SM, Bödeker HU, Beta C, Bae A, Franck C, Rappel WJ, Loomis WF, Bodenschatz E. European Journal of Cell Biology. 85:981-989. 2006
- Pair correlations of a dilute charged colloidal fluid near a glass wall. Carl Franck, Michael Covelli, and Richard V. Duran. Physical Review E. 67. 2003
- Surprisingly short-ranged interactions in highly charged colloidal suspensions. Richard V. Durand and Carl Franck. Physical Review E. 61. 2000
- Low-power laser driving of a binary liquid. F. B. Hicks and Carl Franck. Phys. Rev. E 58. 1998
- Investigation of apparent correlated motion of Brownian particles. Richard V. Durand and Carl Franck. Phys. Rev. E 56. 1998
Selected Past Publications
- A Fast Soft X-Ray Spectrograph. F. Zutavern, C. Franck, T. Aton, S. Schnatterly and E. Kallne, in Inner Shell and X-Ray Physics of Atoms and Solids, D. J. Fabian, et al., eds. (Plenum, New York, 1980), p. 913.
- Excitation of the 4d Shell in Sb, Te, and BaF2 with Inelastic Electron Scattering: Collective or Single Particle? Carl Franck and S. E. Schnatterly, Phys. Rev. A 25, 3049 (1982).
- New Critical Anomaly Induced in a Binary Liquid Mixture by a Selectively Adsorbing Wall. Carl Franck and S. E. Schnatterly, Phys. Rev. Lett. 48, 763 (1982).
- 1s Core Level Spectroscopy of Graphite: The Effects of Phonons on Emission and Absorption and Validity of the Final State Rule. C. P. Franck, S. E. Schnatterly, F. J. Zutavern, T. Aton, T. Cafolla and R. D. Carson, Phys. Rev. B 31, 5366 (1985).
- Order-Parameter Profile at Long Distances in an Adsorbed Binary Liquid Mixture near Criticality. Mark Schlossman, Xiao-lun Wu and Carl Franck, Phys. Rev. B 31, 1478 (1985).
- Classical Scaling Functions for Moments of the Order Parameter Profile in Critical Adsorption of a Binary Liquid Mixture. Carl Franck, J. Chem. Phys. 82, 5633 (1985)
- X-Ray Parametric Scattering from Atomic K-shell Electrons. Vincent Marchetti and Carl Franck, Phys. Rev. A 35, 3128 (1987) and erratum, 39, 445 (1989)
- Control of a Wetting Transition by Substrate Surface Chemistry: The Interplay of Long- and Short-Range Forces. Kumudini Abeysuriya, Xiao-lun Wu, and Carl Franck, Phys. Rev. B 35, 6771 (1987)
- Growth of a Wetting Layer in a Flowing Binary Liquid Mixture at Bulk Coexistence. Xiao-lun Wu, Dean Ripple, and Carl Franck, Phys. Rev. A 36, 3975 (1987).
- Growth of a Wetting Layer in a Flowing Binary Liquid Mixture at Bulk Coexistence,” Xiao-lun Wu, Dean Ripple, and Carl Franck, Phys. Rev. A 36, 3975 (1987)
- Inelastic X-ray Scattering from Copper K-shell Electrons at Intermediate Momentum Transfers,” Vincent Marchetti and Carl Franck, Phys. Rev. Lett. 59, 1557 (1987).
- Inelastic X-ray Scattering with Fluorescence Coincidence Detection Using a Pulsed Synchrotron Source. Vincent Marchetti and Carl Franck, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 59, 407 (1988).
- Wetting Layers Caused by Surface Ionization in a Near-Critical Binary Liquid Mixture. Dean Ripple, Xiao-lun Wu, and Carl Franck, Phys. Rev. B 38, 9054 (1988).
- Inelastic X-Ray Scattering at Intermediate Momentum Transfer: Fluorescence Spectrum and Search for Infrared Divergence in Scattered X-Ray Spectrum. Vincent Marchetti and Carl Franck, Phys. Rev. A 39, 647 (1989).
- Wetting Experiments. Carl Franck, in Fundamentals of Inhomogeneous Fluids, p. 277, Douglas Henderson, ed. (Marcel Dekker, New York, 1992).
- Wetting Studied Dynamically. Carl Franck, in Dynamical Phenomena at Interfaces, D. Beysens, N. Boccara, and G. Forgacs; eds. (Nova Science, Commack, New York, 1993).
- Nonequilibrium Study of the Forces Responsible for Adsorption in a Binary Liquid Mixture. Dean Ripple and Carl Franck, Phys. Rev. A 44, 8289 (1991).
- Quantum Fluctuation and Phase Transition in a Harmonic Two-Electron Atomic Model with Variable Dimensionality. Carl Franck, Phys. Rev. A 47, 119 (1993).
- Relative Importance of Convection and Diffusion in Binary Liquid Systems Subject to Small Horizontal Temperature Gradients. Thomas C. Van Vechten and Carl Franck, Phys. Rev. E 48, 3635 (1993).
- Critical Adsorption in the Undersaturated Regime. Niraj S. Desai, Sarah Peach, and Carl Franck, Phys. Rev. E 52, 4129 (1995).
- Characterization of Self-Assembled, Partial Monolayers on Glass Using Friction Force Microscopy. Sarah Peach, Robert D. Polak, and Carl Franck, Langmuir 12, 6053 (1996).
- Thermally Perturbed Barodiffusion in a Binary Liquid Mixture. F.B. Hicks, Thomas C. Van Vechten, and Carl Franck, Phys. Rev. E 55, 4158 (1997).
- Investigation of Apparent Correlated Motion of Brownian Particles. Richard V. Durand and Carl Franck, Phys. Rev. E 56, 1998 (1997).
- Low Power Laser-Driving of a Binary Liquid. F.B. Hicks and Carl Franck, Phys. Rev. E 58, 4582 (1998).
- Perturbation Method for Solving a Certain Class of Partial Differential Equations. Richard V. Durand and Carl Franck, Jour. of Physics A: Math. and General Physics, 32, 4955 (1999).
- Surprisingly Short Ranged Interactions in Highly Charged Colloidal Suspensions. Richard V. Durand and Carl Franck, Phys. Rev. E 61, 6922 (2000).
- Pair Correlations of a Dilute Charged Colloidal Fluid Near a Glass Wall. Carl Franck, Michael Covelli, and Richard V. Durand, Phys. Rev. E 67, 041402 (2003).
- A Cooperative Transition in Suspension Culture of Amoeba (poster by Ariana Strandburg-Peshkin, Xiao-Qiao S. Zhou, Archana Rachakonda, Benjamin Yavitt, Catherine J. Lussenhop, Sungsu Lee, Kevin Tharratt, Amrish Deshmukh, Elisabeth Sebesta, Myron Zhang, Sharon Lau, Albert Bae, Elijah Bogart, Kayvon Daie, Igor Segota, Carl Franck and talk by Carl Franck). Seventh International Conference on Biological Physics, San Diego, USA, June, 2011
- Surprising Range of Signal Detection by Amoebae (poster by Igor Segota, Elijah Bogart, Surin Mong, Eitan Neidich, Archana Rachakonda, Catherine J. Lussenhop, Carl Franck) Seventh International Conference on Biological Physics, San Diego, USA, June, 2011.
- Make Your Own Crystal Radio! – Notes for Tompkins County Amateur Radio Club Radio Works. February 13, 2010
- Exploration of Transitions to Multicellular Life in Amoeba Colonies Statistical Mechanics Conference Rutgers University. December 2009 abstract. Watch the video.
Strobe (at 5 minute intervals over 26 hours) image of cell positions; darker areas correspond to more visited locations. Paper published in Physical Biology (2014)
Exploration of Transitions to Multicellular Life in Amoeba Colonies, Rutgers U.2009
Video of Overnight Starvation of Dicty, Left Side is Bright Field Microscopy, Left is Same Spatially Averaged with Dynamics Enhanced by Subtraction of Successive Frames (processing by Duane Loh and Albert Bae), 2011